Friday 2 August 2019

On the Aylesbury Arm

Lovely canal this, but I am feeling a bit sore: no fault of the canal, mind you, but when I went down into the boat from the stern deck, I was stepping into the relative darkness and forgot there are 3 steps and only used two of them! I landed flat on my back, grabbing at the bench both sides as I fell. I must have landed on or wrenched my right shoulder, because it hurts!

We had intended mooring up between Lock 8 and 9, but git gaps left by gits who are not onboard meant there was no space available. So we moved on down into the next pound, the towpath bank of which is mostly overgrown with reeds. However there were a few gaps and we took the first one that presented itself. Pins are deployed - 6 of them, in 3 pairs, and we hope the bank is solid enough to hold if any boats go past. None so far, so so far, so good!
Seabrook Lock Cottage - next to the first lock of the day.
Last time we came down this way we moored opposite this boat. I remember photographing it then too. Today I emailed this photo to our friend Derek who is in hospital recovering well from a heart valve replacement.

And my other mess-up today was early on, while I was waiting for the middle Seabrook lock - I wasn't concentrating (texting with Liz on nb Dollytub ...) and the boat got pushed back and skewed across the wide pound. David was worried enough to stop the lock emptying so I didn't have the strong waterflow to contend with.

See, children, concentration on a serious task is important!

This is the old pumpstation next to the second Seabrook Lock, I think. I thought the mooring below this was ideal for sociable boaters - plenty of room for tables, chairs, BBQs. Shall be investigated for the return journey.
The passage today has been lovely - it is surprisingly peaceful given how close we are to London - a bit like the approaches to Birmingham really - often the canal is below the noise or away from housing/industry.

I wondered if this was an old pillbox as it appeared to have a horizontal slit (left hand side 4/5 of the way up). Tony Porter, are you up for a bit of investigation, please?  It is in a paddock next to the top Marsworth Bottom Lock (does that make sense? - there are 7 more locks past the Marsworth Junction.)
And next to the top of the bottom Marsworth Locks is this 1909 stucco cottage - they appear to be ubiquitous in this neck of the woods!

When we came down this way 4 years ago, this was a building site and I remember reading on narrowboat forums that the services would not survive and it was more high-priced housing and boaters would be pushed out. Well, how wrong was that? The services are in that building before the bridge, and the apartments front on to the canal - it all looks beautiful. If I was in the market for a house on the outskirts of London, I'd be buying here - always something going on and always people to wave at, say hello to, pass the time of day with.

Now don't they look like lovely places to live?
And around the corner at the junction, on the Aylesbury Arm, there are more - plus parking for the owners.

The first two locks are a staircase. I was on the phone to Mick when in the first one (and entering it too) so no photos of that. This is us exiting the second one.
And the view to the front - the next lock is in view.

At the 4th lock there is a lovely cottage with an extensive garden. This is their wildflower garden which I think it stunning! When we first moved in to Rata St, I sowed wildflower seeds - mine were mostly cornflowers and big purple things plus lots of cosmos - I love them too. There is something very satisfying about a wildflower garden, I think.

And the front garden is beautiful too. I gather from speaking to the man that he does the front and wildflower garden and his wife does the back garden. She was mowing the lawn by the lock as we were descending.
 And then I lost all concentration for boating: I saw four red kites swirling and swerving up high - the field next to the canal was being harvested and I think they were wheeling about on the look out for mice or rabbits ... They look amazing! The first time we saw these was in Rhayader when we went there with Jo Brownie. That must have been back in about 2004 or 2005, I think. They were endangered then, but seem to have had a resurgence, which is wonderful.

Not the best shots but at least I got them!
So graceful!
I think I had myself pretty much upside down to take this photo ...

OK then, now I am in the lock. The truck driver stopped on the bridge and walked back to check if his undercarriage was going to bottom out ... Not sure I'd be keen on large trucks using this bridge if I was the roading manager of the local council! And I certainly wouldn't have exited the lock while he was driving over the canal ...
While David was busy doing locks, I was busy waiting. And while I was waiting, I had multiple What'sApp conversations going.

One was with Lesley who is allowed out on weekend leave from hospital today and may not have to go back in now the community nurses are going to manage her dressing changes; and her wound (originally the size of the crater that forms Lake Taupo) has been healing in leaps and bounds since they upped her protein intake by about 1000% (icky jellies, I gather, but they are the business).

The other conversation was with Liz. among other discussions, I have sent her my bread recipe (typed in a What'sApp message). They are moored at Kensall Green - a bit different from where we are!
However, it looks like there is ample room on the towpath for a table and chairs with a G&T or two ...

Tomorrow we are going to moor in the Aylesbury Canal Society's marina. We plan on staying a few days if it's possible. I have phoned Rupert, my fabulous Pimlico osteopath whom I have been seeing on and off since 2003. Well, given the fall and the likely mess my neck is in as well as my back after these months of boating, a treatment seems a sensible option, esp as we are so close!

Mick and Julia have given us the name of the president of the Aylesbury Canal Society who they met back in the 80s when their cat (the president's and his wife's) had kittens - howzat for a memory! Julia and Mick saw and recognised them when we were all moored up and sitting outside for the midsummer kiwi xmas party in Edgbaston a few weeks ago.

Time for a blob, methinks, accompanied by a mojito. Dinner is going to be nasi goreng, so David will be on vegetable chopping duty. After all, I have already cooked the rice for it ...


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Marilyn,
4 years ago we went down the A Arm, at the junction, was this odd tree with delicious fruit. Kiwi son-in-law stood on the roof of the boat I think to pick them.....
Look out for them as they were tasty.

Lisa x

Lisa said...

http://nbwhatalark.blogspot.com/2015/07/cherry-apple-crabby-plums-and-love-birds.html