Thursday 5 October 2023

Re-entry to home and progress with the boat

 The flights home are a bit of a blur to me and I think it is probably the effect of Lorazepam on my system. I took a total of two tablets spread over the 3 flights: 1/2 a tablet, 1 and then 1/2 a tablet again. Accordingly I slept on each flight, and I even managed to sleep in the Melbourne terminal on a bench of 4 seats in a waiting area/gate during our 8 hour stop there. The food on BA and Qatar was lovely; the seat/bed on BA was weirdly configured - wouldn't fly them again from Gatwick (old planes Adrian of Briar Rose tells me), and Qatar was fabulous, economy on Qantas from Melbourne to NZ was fine - I slept.

The lovely Luke brought us home complete with our huge amount of luggage. And since then I have done a lot of sleeping - much of it during the day and not so much at night ... David, of course, adjusts much more easily than I do.

I have had a taste of work deja vu over the last few days: ABNB have sent us drafts of the brochure. And as is my wont, and as no one who has ever worked with me would be surprised at, I have taken to each draft with vigour! No red pen and yellow stickies, but only because the marked up draft had to be scanned so it could be returned for amendment.  

I have been my usual fastidious self about the content and accuracy of the text, the suitability of the photos - situation normal, let's not f*ck this up rather than SNAFU...

One thing that put a bit of a spanner in the works was that Debdale had over-promised what they could do in terms of the task list I had left them with. They had taken on more work than they could handle and staff shortages and leave were exacerbating that.

Having found out in a phone call with the head honcho that there was unlikely to be any progress until at least the middle of next week, I sent a potentially begging text to the wonderful, amazing, fabulous 2IJ. I knew they were somewhere near Wolverton and I knew that by car that's not terribly far from Debdale.

They texted back and I called them - that was very very late on Wednesday night here (Wed lunchtime for them). I was only awake because I had been to WOW, the World of Wearable Art show in Wellington, and I'd picked up the new to us car prior to that (a RED 2022 Honda Jazz Crosstar with only 4200kms on the clock).

And as is their wont, they had stayed put after receiving my text because they had a strong inkling we needed them to help. And need them we did.

They are such a marvellous pair - they said yes to helping, they said yes to going and staying on board Waka Huia (rather than our paying for a night for them at The Three Swans in Market Harborough) and doing the work on the list, and they said yes to delivering the boat to ABNB at North Kilworth Marina. We feel so lucky to have such kind and talented friends!

One of the key tasks they have done - and it is the task that meant I was woken up at 2.30 this morning to make decisions - is fitting the new bowflashes, the transfer variety. The discussion was about the size (a bit short so some of the tatty painted one had to be rigorously sanded off - both sides), the correct orientation, i.e. which was the right way up. The end results are just great! They also fitted a heart transfer on the gas locker lid and the duck hatch lid - they look very cool and we are so pleased! And I am perfectly happy to have been woken up - it does mean I am b*ggered now but so what!

Discussion and decision time at 2.30am - is this the right way up. Nope!


Nope!!

Yes Yes Yes!!! The bottom border needs to match the line of the boat's hull - for balance and it's the only way that I think it is satisfying to look at.


And then when we woke up this morning these photos were on my phone:

Looking smashing, eh?


The duck hatch has been hearted!


Job done!! And looking very smart!

And another close up! Looking smart, eh? And check out that heart on the gas locker lid.

Dinner was on us, knock yourselves out, I said, 3 courses and good wine. If I am not there to feed them, I need the local hostelry to do a good job of it!

 

This lovely pair went to the pub in Gumley for their evening meal. I hope that was a good wine, Irene - life's too short to drink the bad stuff!

 

Gumley Smokies for Ian - haddock and bacon in a cream sauce with cheese on the top (I had to ask) and lasagne for Irene. I do wonder how much of that salad got eaten ... No dessert apparently.


To reciprocate, I sent this to Irene - she said I looked bleary-eyed...

Given Ian and Irene were dining, I decided to make breakfast for us and have it in bed.

Fresh sourdough, yummy little tomatoes and scrambled eggs. I sent this photo to Irene too.

 

And I shared the crust of the fresh sourdough with David - that is a sacrifice indeed. I am collecting my Good Wife Award with Merit Stars shortly...

This morning, UK time, Ian is going to do a final oil change, they will get a pumpout and fill with diesel, and then head for Foxton Locks and away to North Kilworth.

Because they have been so efficient and are able to get the boat to North Kilworth on Friday, the boat will be shown to anyone interested over the weekend. Yay!!!

While I was awake in the depths of the night, I also did a final check of the brochure so it could be signed off - working across time zones can be quite efficient for turn around times - I found 3 little things that had been missed and agreed that new photos that included the bow area would be taken to show the very smart looking bowflashes that Waka Huia has now!

So Waka Huia will be officially on sale with ABNB from late Friday afternoon - and that has only been able to happen because of the lovely and wonderfully kind Ian and Irene. Thank you so very much, dear friends.

Lovely warm sunny afternoon yesterday, so we sat outside on our new patio and had an early dinner of soup and cheese scones accompanied by sparkling grape juice. It was celebratory because we knew that on the other side of the world, very shortly after this, Ian and Irene would be getting ready to set off to Debdale on a rescue mission.

Selfie time - David always tries to see if he is visible on the screen, hence he is squinting a bit. I assure you though, he was happy. Who wouldn't be - things were coming together with the boat, the sun was out, I'd made soup and he loves soup.


Today's crop of sourdough - the starter is back!!!


 
We cleared the garage floor so the lovely new car could go inside. It fits!!

OK, I don't know if you are aware, but I was up for a long period overnight. Now I am officially tired and I am heading for bed!





2 comments:

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

It was an excellent wine. A full-bodied Shiraz and Ian had his favourite Woodforde's Wherry. Dinner was brilliant, a lovely choice of pub, so thank you for that and paying for the meal

The car looks very smart, and the colour is perfect, it will suit your colourful personality. (:

Xxx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

You two are such treasures!

And I hope you managed more than 1 glass of that Shiraz, Irene. Ian of course should only have had one beer given he was driving those narrow country roads.

We are happy with the car - test drove a silver one, handled beautifully but so boring to look at. I have the slightest smidgen of a hunch that you may be right about the match between the red being a match for my personality - and my politics, of course!

Mxxoo