Saturday 5 November 2022

Cleaning and tidying and decluttering

 It's that time when we are doing spring cleaning - never done it before but better late than never!

This morning's task was cleaning the soffits around the house - last week Shona had mentioned she thought they needed to be de-spidered. So obediently, we got busy.

Questions of interest:

  • how come dust sticks on upside down surfaces?
  • why does said dust not come off with the fierce hose, the broom that has warm water and HandyAndy?
  • why does the dust require being washed off with a cloth?
  • and why am I the one who can see the dust and therefore have to be the one doing that washing with a cloth, making my shoulders and right upper arm very sore?
  • why am I unable to climb up on to the platform leading with my right leg?  My right thigh just will not lift me! WHY?

Anyway, the soffit looks fabulously clean and sparkling - I shamefacedly have to confess we have not ever washed them before on this house, and we have lived here 8 years! There has been a price to pay though in case you didn't understand - my shoulders and right arm are VERY SORE!

And David has cleared his office - who knew it had a floor? Who knew it was quite a big room? Who knew that he could get rid of so many computers and cables and pieces of technology and still be able to function?  


Amazing, eh?

I still can't quite believe it!


He has also been up in the attic clearing things out. We decided that if stuff had been up there for the 8 years we have lived here, then it clearly was not required - in the main, I think many things up there were items from our parents that we could not let go of in the early days after losing them and becoming orphans. It's a bit easier now to let things go. We found two prints that had been David's dad's that Kirsty had asked to have. She still wants them, so back up they will go - until we head over to see her with a large suitcase!

 



And shock horror - I may even divest myself of some of the cup and saucer sets I collected back in the early 2000s. I can afford to let some go as there's about 50 of them, I think. Letting some escape may result in a china cabinet being able to find a new home at some point, perhaps, maybe, depending ...

And I looked at the lovely reproduction drinks cabinet I bought when we were B&Bing in Cherswud - it hasn't held alcohol for years and ever since we moved here it has housed glass stemmed dessert bowls - quite lovely, but totally impractical because no one could eat a dessert as big as they hold. So they are off to the charity shop along with a box of other trinkets (my friend Lesley calls it tat, but she's a bad person), and the drinks cabinet will be sold to another loving owner.

Yesterday, when we left the cafe after breakfast, we saw these fabulous motorbikes and sidecars only two but I have three photos so you can see both sides more easily. So gorgeous I think I'd even be keen to travel in/on them!




And one for the road:

3 comments:

Adam said...

I remember the National Trust guide at Wightwick Manor spoke at length about the problem of dust when we visited there having moored up pretty much outside. As I recall, the dust is much more of a problem when there’s moisture involved, because that’s what sticks it down. That’s why National Trust houses have those moisture monitors in every room. So extrapolating from that, I’d guess that moisture is the reason your underneath surfaces have dust stuck on them.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Jenny,
Considering we've done the soffits only once in 8 years, I doubt we will be emotionally ready to come and sort your place any time soon!
I remember thinking how spotless your place was when we visited, so I don't think you really need us somehow!
But we can always come just for a visit - esp when we have the Jameisons back here!
Mxx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Adam,
I think you are right re damp. And also I think there is a thing about dust particles not actually being spherical and smooth, so their spiky bits will cling to paint which is also not totally smooth, even if it looks it to our imperfect eyes.
All in all, dust is a bugger.
Just speaking with a friend who says he uses a Wet and Forget product that loosens it - why didn't he tell me that when I saw him on Saturday instead of waiting to tell me on Monday? Although, to be fair, it wasn't hard to get off, it's just that I had my arm above my head for far too long!
This morning's task was cleaning the outside of the windows - that was easy (broom in hot water and white vinegar, then squeegeed off with the windscreen scraper), but used the same sore right arm ...
Hugs to you both, Mxx