Sunday 14 November 2021

Day 3 at Hanmer Springs and new friends

Backing up a bit -  in the afternoon of Day 2 (SAD: sore arse day) I went and spoke to two guys whose caravan was parked up near us. I was sure I had seen or met one of the men before. After  a bit of working out which were the two degrees of separation, we discovered that we had a friend in common: Derek. So of course there was an obligatory phone call to Derek to surprise him with this chance meeting up. Greg and Alan came over for a chat after they'd used the hot tub - perhaps I should have done that given my bum was sore ...

On Day 3 we did another walk, having decided that biking was probably not going to be too good for my lower spine. And apart from that, getting the bikes down from the bike rack would be a bit of a struggle with me off heavy lifting! But my back was feeling pretty good considering how hard I had landed on my coccyx - I am so pleased with Chris the physio!

We headed for the part of the Hanmer Forest that is right next to the holiday park and did what we think was Dog Stream Walk. It was hard to tell as the three forest walk maps that we looked at within about 200 metres of each other were all different and hard for me to to match up... whatever. Where we walked was lovely.

This is the first map - I took a photo in case we needed to consult it while rambling ...
Dog Stream

And facing the other way

Old woman beside Dog Stream

 
What was I saying to David at this point? Perhaps it was 'Have you finished taking photos of my back yet?'


Clearly he was NOT finished


These trees are very very tall


And I am rather short - on heading in the general direction of away ...

When we got to the scene of the previous day's marital discord, we (I) managed not to be grumpy and not to fall over, and we did the part of the Sculpture Walk I hadn't done the day before.

It occurs to me that I am rather curious to know what this creature is doing to this log

 

The orangutan

And we came out at exactly the same spot I did the previous day and walked back into the village along the same road - no fighting or biting, just pleasure. A lovely walk on a warm sunny day.

Dinner was early - I made saag aloo (potato and spinach curry) and defrosted one container of left over veg and lentil curry.  And because we were leaving early in the morning (5.30-ish) and it would be too early by far to say goodbye, we had to pop over the say goodbye to Greg and Alan. Out came the gin and tonic just for one drink, which became 3... Much hilarity and the discovery we have Tom as a friend in common too!

So on Saturday we are going to have dinner and stay overnight at their place. I am making cheese tart and lemon syrup cake - both of which will be cooked at their place.




No comments: