Monday 28 June 2021

More about David

 Still no desire for dusting has manifested itself, dammit!

However he has received his start date for radiation treatment and it is Monday 5 July. We are a mix of pleased, relieved and trepidatious**!

** The Shorter OED says there is no such word, but I don't care - I have invented it just now. Feel free to use it - there will be no copyright fee!

And the other milestone is that he is within a day or two of sending in his insurance claim for the expenses to do with the surgery for the anterior capsular phimosis in his right eye. It is just over 2 years since the surgery at the Birmingham Medical Eye Centre (BMEC). If you look in the archive of this blog there are posts about his eye adventures starting in late May 2019. 

Note to self: do not employ David in any role where adherence to deadlines is critical...

And a new word I learned yesterday is turbidity - I am doing a piece of work setting up a project regarding achieving compliance with legislation about new standards for water supplies in NZ. The Dept of Conservation water asset guys tell me that turbidity refers to the amount of silt in water and therefore its lack of transparency. Cloudy or opaque with suspended matter says the Shorter OED re turbid. It also means being confused, so I am going to use it in that context. I will have plenty of relevant opportunities, I think.

Don't you just love new words?

I had guessed turbidity had something to do with the movement of water - and I now realise why. I associated turbulent with turbidity. Not so silly after all. But still not correct, dammit!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad David doesn't have to wait tooo long, ggod luck, hope all goes smoothley for you bothe.
You could say the canal system has plenty of 'turbidity' caused by propellers. Although the canal was christal clear where we moored overwinter at Brownsover once.
So we could see all the bent Tesco shopping trolleys, squashed by boats going over them, argh!
So, we fished them all out and returned them to Tescos, telling them to improve their security strips.
We took geat pleasure in doing this, but I don't supose they took any notice. However, the sight of the muddy dripping pile caused a stir, haha.
Ann Makemson.xx

Jennie said...

Hi Marilyn, good to hear that David has a date - we hope all goes well for you both. We are, at last, afloat. A blog should come out sometime tomorrow. Jennie x

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Ann, I did smile at your comments about the turbidity of the canal water! And I remember Tesco's trolleys in the little stream that we have to walk across to get to the supermarket from the canal - used to drive me nuts! David and I did a walk in Temuka a few months ago and I remember commenting to David: Look, no trolleys in that stream ...

Hi Jennie, Good to know you are on the water again - we are missing it!

Thank you both for your good wishes. I will be keeping updates coming - I figure it's important to be as open as possible about these things so that hopefully the stigma diminishes!

Big hugs, Mxx