Sunday 22 November 2020

Feeling a bit down

 I have been strangely reluctant to write a new post, and am not at all sure why. It has been a strange time in world events over the last several months and has got even stranger in the last few weeks since I posted. I was reluctant to post about the US election in case I jinxed it for Biden/Harris. I needn't have worried - the US has jinxed it for itself, and the dumpster is doing what he always does when thwarted. And Biden will prevail, but I do think the US is no longer a world power with any moral standing. Fifty percent of its citizens have shown themselves to believe white is might and right, and to be perfectly happy to deny anyone 'other' any dignity in being alive. But enough about them, before this becomes an anti-US rant...

The surges in Covid cases, particularly in the US and the UK are extremely worrying, and given that our son and our grandsons and members of my extended family and a number of friends are in the UK it is hard to contemplate that situation with equanimity. At least Tim is living on nb Waka Huia with his partner - somehow that seems safer and I hope I am correct. They are in the Lee Valley and he commutes by train and tube to work - wearing a mask. The grandsons are up in Scotland and I am hoping that they are safer up there than down in England, but I really don't know.

I do worry about the lockdown rules in the UK - I am not sure they are strict enough to bring the spread of the virus under control. But we shall see - infection numbers are still climbing, but we had that here in NZ for the first couple of weeks of Level 4, and it was only in the second two weeks that infection levels flattened and then lowered. My fingers are crossed for all of the people I know and care about, as well as for all of the others I don't.

So it has seemed at a macro-level that there is little pleasant to write about. Of course we DO have Jacinda and her team bigger and better than ever - and that is a cause for much happiness. While our Jacinda billboard had to come down the day before the election, we still have it on display in the lounge! I was going to put the photo in here but I have so many photos on my camera roll that I cannot easily find it, and if I faff about doing so, I will lose the will to live ...

OK, I promise to be more upbeat in the next post, OK? 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,It seems that whatever strict rules are in place over here it doesn't stop 'stupid' from beaking them. Quite a few have been fined for organising large lllegal gatherings.
As for us we're just plodding along and glad we can keep in touch with friends and family over the internet, luckily.
It is a bit worrying that Grandsons are at school, but they are sparated into 'bubbles' to stay safe.
Still self isolating, not daring to go on the bus, but walking everyday while K does his 'chairobics'!
We're just hoping that next year we will be free to roam again.
Ann and Keith.xx

Jennie said...

Whilst there are the few who blatantly break the rules, I think it is becoming obvious that people are beginning to be complacent and are forgetting to keep their distance etc. People walk 3 abreast and make no attempt to move over to give others space - I don't think it is blatant disregard of the rules, I just think they are beginning to forget. Chris, Monty and I are very good at 'talking to hedges'! We are in lockdown and are only supposed to meet one other person outside - we have seen bigger groups, but what can you do? Christmas worries me dreadfully - the virus does not know it is Christmas. We will stay put and keep safe. Our son, his wife and their eldest daughter (17) have had covid. They are pretty much okay now (it started a month ago) and we are hoping they are not among those who suffer from long covid.

I am sorry you are feeling glum. Sending love and hugs from the UK. Take care both of you. Jennie xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Thank you, Ann and Keith, Jennie and Chris (and Monty, of course)
I am fine now - I think the whole political and health situation in the UK and the US dragged me down. I guess that's not surprising given how tough it has been and continues to be.
However, it's harder for you being there!
I find it strange that, in the midst of high infection rates, people are forgetting or getting tired of having to be careful - I reckon the news would be a constant reminder! It took me a couple of weeks AFTER we came out of Level 3 (after a month in Level 4) before I was comfortable going into a cafe. I'm still religiously using the Track and Trace app everywhere I go.
Please stay safe, and do Xmas by Zoom or WhatsApp - much fun can still be had and far less of the cooking required! So that is a bonus ...
Mxx