Monday 10 August 2020

No jury would ever convict me

Well, no jury of women anyway ... 

We have come back to the Beachside Motel motorhome area after a night and a day and an early evening away: 

  • we spent the night out at Lake Kaniere staying with Vicki and Allan Hurley - they used to run the Heritage Highway Motel that I stayed in all the time I was working down here back in 2016/17. Wonderful to see them again - they had been coming to stay with us on board Waka Huia this year, but no go for either of us!
  • we drove back in to town quite early this morning and parked in the DOC carpark for the day. David loved it! He went out two or three times during the day - twice shopping and once on a walk across the bridge south out of town. I think I may start taking the motorhome to work a bit more often, so he has the variety of routes to walk and better access to the shops.
  • after work today, we drove into town (it's on the way back to the motel) and stopped at Stumpers for an early dinner.

On the way back after dinner, David asked if I could cope without the stabilisers** installed. No, I said, please do get them into place. It is much more comfortable.

As he had them to put in place under the back of the chassis, and had the water tank to fill so I can have a shower in the morning, and the power cord to plug in, the mat and the step to put out, I said I would do the dishes which started being collected but not washed from about lunchtime yesterday ...

So off I go to do that chore and come back and he is nearly finished with the stabilisers and the other tasks are done. We are both tired - a bit too much wine consumed last night (I blame Vicki) so not the best night's sleep for either of us. He declares that he is going to go to bed shortly as he cannot wait to put his icy cold hands on my warm skin.

And it will be the last thing you ever do, sez I, cos no jury would ever convict me ...

** We ordered stabilisers from Burnsco in Nelson after we arrived here in Hokitika, and Salvi and Ann collected them and brought them down when they came to stay two weeks ago. There was much discussion between the chaps about where they would go and then a decision handed down that they needed to be returned as they wouldn't work. Bugger! So I innocently asked if they could go under the rear of the motorhome near the bracket for the spare wheel. No, I was told by two people with penises. Are you sure? I said, I have looked and it seems to me there is some metal there that would be fine to have the stabilisers nestled up against it. No, I was told with much mansplaining about why I couldn't possibly be right.        A couple of hours pass and one person with a penis went out and was seen lying on the ground looking upwards to the rear of the motorhome.    In he comes and says to ACP (the one who formerly was an ACP - you know who I mean!) I think it would work, David, as there's a piece of metal that would be fine to have the stabilisers positioned underneath. OK, says the ACP, and off they go to do the thing. Success!

And I, not in the least grumpy (no, not I!!) said to Ann What a very good idea Marilyn, let's wait for a man to suggest it. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! (As I said, no jury of women would convict me ...)

Anyway, the stabilisers are magic - they stop all the rocking that occurs from just walking in around the motorhome. It isn't so noticeable when sitting at the table or in the driver's seat/captain's chair, but when you're lying in bed, it is uncomfortable because it's disconcerting.

Update: David is now in bed beside me - he is safe from being assassinated because he took so long doing the other puttering around bits and pieces that he has warmed up and his hands are no longer blocks of ice. Lucky for him, I think.

No comments: