Monday 9 September 2019

The Lockkepers Rest and the crew


We had breakfast at the Marina cafe on Sunday - midday by the time we were served, but it was a pleasure sitting and chatting with the variety of people at the table.

Karen, Carol and me, Derek (who lived in Invercargill in his teens), David, Nigel, Liz, Dwayne, Chris and the trouble-making Lyndon. At this point, we were still hungry ...
I am having an alcohol free day today and possibly for a few days to come - far too much chardonnay was consumed over the weekend. And I blame Lyndon.
He looks like a trouble maker, doesn't he?
He labelled this photo 'My new sheila' on his fb page. As if I am from austraya. I purposely wore my NZ top so there would be no confusion! So I don't think his understanding of NZ symbols is very strong.
The cheese scones went down a treat at the Lockies, and I am sure it was useful for me to have them to soak up some of the alcohol.

When we left the Lockkeepers Rest well after closing time, it didn't seem right to end the fun. So we asked Nigel and Liz, Karen and Lyndon to come on board Waka Huia for a good bye drink. Out came all of the cider and wine from the locker. I didn't bring out the gin and rum, as who knows when we would all have got to bed and it's a work day today for Lyndon and Karen.

Karen and me

Liz and Nigel


David and I are on the stools on our fabulous false floor

Rest assured that not all of that wine was consumed, but 2 reds were, plus the Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc, and part of the chardonnay. Lyndon is only half there - and that's probably close to the truth ... Mukka, L&K's neighbour's dog, was under the table. Lovely wee jack russell.
When Mukka's owner rang asking where his dog was and when he was coming home, the party broke up. And channelling Adrian and Errol from Wellington NZ, we brought out the 'piss off' After 8 chocolate mints. They were rapidly scoffed and then it was goodbye.

It has been wonderful spending time with them, and I am fairly sure we have made the following arrangements:
  1. mid summer kiwi xmas next year will involve this team of reprobates plus our other team of reprobates, Mick and Julia;
  2. Liz and Nigel are going to come to NZ for a holiday at the end of 2020 and early 2021;
  3. Lyndon and Karen will come to NZ when they retire - so only 7 years to wait, poor buggers!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds like a wonderful fun time Marilyn! x

Lyndon Helmore said...

Ok I give in my kiwi lady x

Tom and Jan said...

Looking at the blog post title I'd say you were on the turps :-)

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Strangely, over the last few weeks, we have had lots of people asking if we are Australian ... Maybe it's my colourful language, perhaps?

A reasonably accurate guess, Tom, but chardonnay tastes better!

Carol, it was a fun time - that bistro pub is wonderful, and considering it is only accessible on foot or by boat, it is surprisingly busy, as is the cafe right beside it.

Mxx