Tuesday 22 July 2014

A busy but lazy day


Evidence of aerial and today's washing in the cratch - of course if I'd cleaned the front glass the washing would be more easily seen!
My mooring with the snake bridge past the next boat. Beautifully sunny and warm.
Yay, yesterday I managed to put up the TV aerial (all 3 sections of its mast) and used the Antenna Aligner app to get a good signal. Did manage to scratch my neck with the fins of the aerial at first but apart from looking like a big cat has attacked me, I did OK.
I slept pretty well last night given I was on my own and I’m a wuss … The moorings at Marple are peaceful all day with pedestrians walking past, but really quiet at night. However I was awake by 6am and dressing to go over and get water, when to my shock and dismay, I saw another boat already there at the water point! At 6am – I ask you – who would be nuts enough to be out of bed getting water at that time of the day? Then I realised it was Tom on the boat behind me that has been moored here a while and he’d pushed his boat over rather than start the engine. Considerate man!
When it was my turn (7am by then), I eschewed the pushing option (my boat is much longer than his) and started the engine to cruise over in tickover. Filling took less time than I expected – I was concerned that my tank was close to totally empty, but apparently not. I had intended to go back to bed after re-mooring in the same spot – my main reason for going early was to get back in the same possie, before anyone else was out hunting for scarce moorings.
However, back to bed wasn’t an option. Tom and I spent a fair while discussing life, relationships and everything, as well as checking out the reorganisation options possible in his boat – he hasn’t been on it long and it doesn’t have a fixed bed, but has two pull-out sofa beds. Also his galley is laid out in a way he’s not happy with. I am always happy to identify ways people can spend money on renovations and redecoration – just ask Lesley! (My tally with her is new bathroom [almost completed], new kitchen, and new conservatory [both about to be given a shove when I head down there on Friday].)
David texted a couple of times from Singapore - once that he'd landed and the next time that he was due to board the flight to Christchurch. He should be there by about 11pm UK time, I think. Then a flight to Wellington where Gary is picking him up and taking him home. I have asked the neighbours to get in some milk, eggs, bread and tomatoes in case the kitchen is bare of food given Joe is away looking after his dad this week.
At about noon, I went off into Marple looking for a few bits and pieces (see I also spend my money) and came back to the boat very pleased. I’d found a new plastic stool to elevate a certain short person on nb Waka Huia, a new basin for the sink (I am English, after all), the ingredients for insect repellent I saw on the living on a narrowboat forum website (baby oil and Dettol) to be employed to banish horseflies and midges from about my person, a container of Barman’s Friend that a guy in Willington told me was the business for cleaning the brass mushrooms when mixed with Cillit Bang, a new purple backpack that I think I am safe in saying David won’t want to use, a few groceries from the Coop, and best of all, a steak pie from Archers – it was yummy.
See, I have been quite lazy today, in spite of doing 3 loads of washing – the hardest part about that was sorting the piles and then hanging it out when the machine had done its job in sterling fashion. No DIY as it was too hot for such efforts to be rewarding – I do find that DIY requires cool temperatures so that the effort and energy expended warm one, rather than threatening expiration!
Tomorrow morning, after another quick trip into Archers for a pie (I do need to do a quality control check – the first one may not be matched by the second), I will refill the tank, so I can do a couple more loads of washing as I cruise down to Macclesfield – we haven’t done any washing since before the team arrived a week ago, so things are getting desperate in the teatowels, handtowels and smalls departments! And I do need to have David’s boating clothes clean by the time he gets back from NZ.
Tomorrow afternoon I am due down at the Macclesfield Canal Centre, and will moor up for a couple of weeks on a powered site. If there is a mooring space, I will stop for lunch on my way at the café opposite Lyme View Marina. Watch this space!
Before I leave the boat and head down to stay with Lesley and ensure the economy there is kept moving, Kev at Freedom Boats is going to teach me how to change the oil and will sort out a few other things. One of which will be the air-horn which currently sounds like a strangled goose in its death throes and wouldn’t warn anyone off. I have warned it that if it doesn’t buck up its ideas, it will be considered surplus to requirements and will be replaced. I am also going to ask him to fit a new bilge pump as ours is pants.
OK, it’s chardonnay o’clock, so enough of this nonsense. Big hugs to all who want to be hugged and firm handshakes to those who do not. Cheers, M

No comments: