Saturday 4 April 2020

My earlobes need botox

Did you realise that earlobes get floppier with age? Well, probably you did know that, but I didn't.

How have I discovered that interesting fact, you ask? Well, it was a scientific experiment. Not really, it was a desire to wear the earrings I used to wear.

Many years ago I had my ears pierced and, as the piercer used a curved needle I could often not easily get earrings through the non-straight hole. So I gave up wearing them and the holes grew over. So fast forward about 25 years or so, to about 7 weeks ago when I decided I would get my ears pierced again - I had an age-appropriate example: our friend Cheryl got hers pierced when she turned 70 last year. I'm only 69, so I thought I too could do it.

So now, 7 weeks after having them pierced, I thought I should be able to take out the piercing studs and insert earrings. Accordingly, I prepared well by cleaning the earrings I wanted to wear (silver and onyx, so out came the silver cleaner and then a wash in detergent and warm water). I got one stud out without a hassle and attempted to put in the earring.

Bugger! My earlobe was too floppy for the earring to go straight through and I couldn't hold my earlobe in any way that kept the hole straight. So then I put the stud back in - and even though it had just come out, I struggled to get it back in, dammit!!

So, I am now waiting until the end of staying in my bubble so that I can have someone who is willing to help me insert the earrings I want to wear. David, sensibly won't do it, as he would struggle to see the hole at the back of the ears, and anyway it would probably make him queasy.

Botox may be the only long term answer, but I cannot access that at the moment!

Roll on the end of social isolation - I need to try my earrings. Jacinda, don't you know what a crisis this is? Please hurry!!

No comments: