Tuesday 19 November 2019

No more sour dough for me

After the massive fail of the couple of days prior, the day before yesterday I fed the sourdough starter that was in the fridge and put it in the hot-water cupboard to hopefully do its thing.

But, after a day and a night in the loving nurturing warmth, the starter was a non-starter. It was dead, just like the parrot in the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch. (If you haven't seen it, look it up on YouTube ...)

So my sourdough bread-making days are over almost before they started.

In future, if we want sourdough bread, we will either have to buy it, or go and stay with Chris and Willie in Waimarama, or with Sarah and Jack in Richmond.

I will stick to making my trusty no-knead wholemeal bread or ciabatta. Sourdough, you suck!!

By the way, you should have heard the loud thunk as the rock solid loaves hit the bottom of the rubbish bin! I had considered putting the loaves out to the birds, but decided that, if they managed to peck their way into it and eat it, they would never get off the ground again!

2 comments:

Bernice said...

I’ll send you my method and recipe including how to make your own starter.

Carol said...

Glad I'd not got round to making a sourdough starter Marilyn! So ... how do you make no-knead wholemeal please?