So I opened a cupboard door: Our biggest Pyrex mixing bowl had spontaneously exploded/shattered into big chunks and little chunks, like a broken windscreen!
|Very weird, man! I've heard of spontaneous combustion, but exploding bowls are something else!|
It could have been disastrous if it had occurred while I was using it, or while the yeast mixture was bubbling away on the bench for the bread, rather than in the cupboard where at least the dispersal effect was contained.
I had read recently that the making of pyrex has been moved to China (I think) and that the spontaneous explosive shatterings have been occurring regularly since then. So I was not surprised but am now planning to get rid of our pyrex and replacing it with stainless steel.
A great deal of sweeping up, cleaning up and the jandals were put beside the bed so that there could be no inadvertent wandering into the galley to make tea in a barefoot state.
Speaking of barefoot, on Monday we (well, I - David didn't notice ...) saw a woman sunbathing completely naked in the cratch of her boat. That is my first experience of outdoor public nakedness in the UK - not terribly English, methinks!
Today we have moved on from Penkridge to just past Acton Trussell, but not before a walk down to:
- the Wednesday market (excellent and very popular/busy),
- the hardware shop to buy a large plastic bowl,
- the butchers for shin of beef for braised steak and onions for tomorrow probably, and
- Jaspers (£9 for 2 filled cob rolls, 2 apple turnovers, a peppered steak square, a sausage roll and a batch loaf)
- At this point, only the batch loaf remains ...
|If you look carefully, you can see me at the counter paying.|