Monday 4 May 2020

Alert Level 3

We continue in Alert Level 3 here in NZ. Zero new cases on COVID-19 here yesterday and no new deaths. That is excellent news on both fronts - my fear is though that it will be used in 2 ways:
  • the opposition party will say (as they already are) see, you overreacted!! And we can open up all of the economy right now, everyone can go back to work and we can all suffer while we repay the debt you have put us into with this blatant and obvious overreaction;
  • the public (or enough of them) will relax their vigilance, stop social distancing, forget their bubbles, and set off a new wave of infection, and set us all back to the beginning.
My fingers are crossed that the latter doesn't happen - it's too late for the former and they are already on their high horse, trying to destroy the government's good work, and spreading misinformation and lies - or to be more charitable: half-truths, or quarter truths.

And we have had people openly criticising the government for ruining the country by providing funds to businesses to pay workers and keep the businesses afloat - and then in the next sentence writing about how they have applied for and taken the money for their businesses even though they say they didn't need it and could have coped without it. Irony, dishonesty, lack of integrity.

I spent the last two days on the verge of vomiting since reading that stuff: I know it was despair and anger that was making me feel nauseous.

I knew that kind of greed and entitlement existed in the US and the UK, but I thought New Zealanders were better than that.

Apparently some are not.

Fortunately they are a small minority. However I do hope when borders open again that they bugger off and live somewhere else - I don't want to have to see them polluting this place.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Hear hear! Well said xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Thanks, Bernice, I do get so incensed about greed!
I fully support people in need being keen to take advantage of the assistance, but people who have more than enough already? What is their reasoning, FFS? Because there is absolutely no excuse.
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Joy Kawana said...

Fully agree Marilyn pity there weren't more like you on talkback!

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Thank you, Joy. I can't listen to talkback, but feel free to call in and read out the post ...
Mxx