Thursday 19 September 2019

A friend in need is a friend indeed

After reading the previous post about my very SORE back, Mick and Julia phoned yesterday as I was leaving Two Steeples Medical Centre following my second appointment with the osteopath (this trip was cheaper as he was working in Wigston which is quite close to Kilby Bridge). They expressed appropriate concern about the PAIN, and made a sensible suggestion: they reckoned Laughing John, our boating companion from the 2017 trip all over the place from Braunston to Stratford, Tewkesbury, Gloucester, Hanbury Junction, Birmingham etc, may well be happy to come and steer the boat for me.

I called him, explained the situation, whined about how much my back HURT, and John put aside his plans for the day (preparing for his 2 year old granddaughter's birthday party), and drove over from Peterborough to give us a hand.

What a champion, what a kind person, what a star!

So we moved from Kilby Bridge to Fleckney, David did 12 locks biking between them, John steered, and I sat on the stern deck in a chair with cushions and the icepack, and between sittings, so that I didn't seize up, I:
  • made cheese scones
  • made cups of tea
  • made a fish pie
  • stood up, sat down, multiple times
  • held the rope occasionally, and 
  • steered the boat the last couple of hundred metres while John walked ahead to see if the desired spot was clear.
It was a very very good day, and being able to move freely, or sit, really helped my back a lot.
John is used to single handing so at first he got off at the lock to assist David. I sat down and took a photo ...
Two chaps doing the lock - I am still sitting down, or standing but only momentarily ...
Waiting for David, outside the lock.
I liked the tree in the field with something growing round its trunk.
And another one ...
The man of the hour - thank you, John!
We pootled gently towards Crane's Lock, and the paparazzi were waiting, monocular at hand. David was a bit weary by this stage, and took advantage of our slowness to have a lie down on the grass. Sensible, as there were still 4 locks to do!
Next to Taylor's Turnover Lock is this interesting wedding/events venue. It has been extended since we were last here. Yesterday was the first time I noticed (John pointed it out) that the poles are fake and do not extend down into the tepees ...
It's beautiful countryside around here, even if there  are pylons in the distance.
The last lock of the season for us - Kibworth Top Lock.
Once we were moored up, we had a very early dinner (fish pie with smoked haddock and cod, a beer each for the guys and a chardonnay for me), we walked (me, I walked!!) across the field to Fleckney and we sent John in an Uber back to his car. He was very impressed with the Uber app - he seems to think we are really clever with the technology, but little does he know that it was the daughter Kirsty who taught us about it...

He is such a kind person.  Thank you, John, for all of your help and for dropping everything to do so.

And this morning I woke up feeling much better - not totally cured, but much better. To the extent that I could put my own socks on and zip up my boots. I will know I am right when I can put my knickers and jeans on without sitting down ... TMI, I know, but there you go 😚😜😝

So today, we walked into Fleckney again and had breakfast at The Toast Office, did a small shop at the Coop (essentials only).
A lead flashing over a window in Fleckney's main street

Then I put a top coat on the roof bits, and David washed and sanded and painted the rubbing strake and scratched bits (lots) on the towpath side.

We have moved on a tad now and are moored up with the towpath on the port side, so David has washed below the gunwales on that side, and has painted the rubbing strake and scratched bits of the sides (lots). A magnificent effort, while I looked after my back by sitting reading on the towpath in the sunshine. Well, needs must and all that!
I did make dessert for a late lunch - the puddings are from the Coop, and I didn't realise they are for the microwave. So I decanted them into china ramekins and heated them in the oven. Worked very well!

The sky this afternoon - absolutely stunning! No clouds anywhere.
Working, boss ...
The mooring - stunning spot! (I walked for this shot...)
And from the other direction - I walked for this one too!
A well-deserved G&T, plus evidence of working. I made the G&T and prepared nibbles for dinner, so I wasn't totally idle, honest!

It is a beautiful evening, we are moored out in the countryside, and it is lovely!
And the sunset - what a night to end the cruising season on!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Just having a catch up! I hope the back is fully recovered. I think you decided to end your cruise at the right time and you have managed to miss many a drenching! Safe travels back home and hopefully we might meet up again next season. Jennie and Chris x