Friday 30 July 2021

Comments thing is misbehaving so here is the comment I wanted to leave for Tony

The lovely Tony Porter left a comment on my last post asking why we were so far behind in vaccinations here in NZ - possibly tongue in cheek, because, if you know Tony, you know he is a cheeky bugger...

 But anyway, in case he wasn't being cheeky or ironic, here is what I replied to him but Blogger comments wouldn't load it for some obscure reason.**

Hi Tony,
NZ stood back and waited for other more needy countries to get the vaccines first.
From about May last year (2020) we had no community transmission apart from a very small outbreak in August which was contained rapidly through effective lockdown and effective contact tracing.
We've had our border closed since March 2020, with only NZers (residents and citizens) allowed in and MIQ (government managed isolation and quarantine) in place for every arriving person for an obligatory two weeks.

So far, we have had 2870 cases, of which 2514 are confirmed, the remainder are identified as probables. Over 1000 of those cases have been returnees. There have been 26 deaths.  

That's why we are behind other countries in our vaccination rollout - because we could safely wait...
Mxx

** Is anyone else having problems with loading Comments? A couple of times I've had the message asking do I want to Stay on the page or Leave the page because if I leave my changes will be lost. Weird. It has happened when I've been commenting/responding to comments on my blog and when I've made comments on Lisa's What a Lark blog. Very frustrating, so any assistance would be much appreciated, please.

2 comments:

Tom and Jan said...

Good heavens Marilyn I didn't realise you believed in the tooth-fairy :-) Politicians know the first responsibility of a government is to look after the welfare of its citizens. Not unselfishly potentially sacrifice their health and welfare for the greater benefit of global humanity.
I'm more inclined to believe a complacent NZ government decided that as they were in an isolated spot in the bottom right hand map of the world COVID wasn't a priority.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/300342943/covid19-nz-why-is-the-vaccine-rollout-so-slow

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Tom, if you believe anything written by the NZ media, you are nuts!
Cheers, M