Thursday 15 April 2021

Steampunk Museum in Oamaru

We knew the Steampunk Museum was the kind of place our younger grandson Karol would be fascinated by. There were all sorts of strange things crafted out of old machinery and metal. I know it added to the atmosphere, but the lighting was very low. That makes the photos a bit dark - my apologies for that! I have adjusted the brightness where possible. 


 Read about it here

I've not added many captions, mainly just the photos this time.

 



Displays before entering the museum




















There is a room with a glass floor that I felt weak in the knees walking into - you close the door behind you and the light show starts. Rather beautiful, but I am most uncomfortable with glass floors ...

That is David on the platform

The floor beyond the platform may be mirrored, I think...





There must have been mirrors all around given there was only one platform in reality...



To leave the building you have to come out through the round section to the left. To get back in to exit the museum, you have to go in through a train, IIRC. Not an obvious way to depart, I have to say ...

It is pretty cool. To be fair, if I hadn't wanted to send Karol some information about Oamaru, we would not have gone. And I am glad we did.





1 comment:

Jenny said...

Steam Punk is certainly quite an interesting experience. I dont remember the mirrored room with all those lights last time we were down that way, must be a newish installation I expect.