Tuesday 29 September 2020

Nostalgia

 If we were on the boat this year, we would have headed back to Debdale in the last week or so and be packing up, cleaning up and winterising before heading home to NZ. If I remember correctly, we had been booked to fly home very early in October.

We have missed it, being on the boat. I have been reading boating blogs all winter here in NZ, and have often felt quite jealous when I see the lovely photos of familiar places and read of ascending and descending locks and mooring out in the countryside.

This morning I have read Irene and Ian Jameison's post on the Free Spirit blog (Irene's, really...), and they are heading back to base. They will have cruised past Lyndon and Karen on nb Post Box, and Liz and Nigel whose boat name I don't know! I have read Lisa's (and David's) What a Lark latest post, as well as Tony and Helen's nb Holderness latest post. 

All of them have made me feel quite nostalgic.

That is not to say being here in Waikanae has been a struggle; nor was it a struggle being in Hokitika or Nelson, or up in Taranaki, the Hawke's Bay or points in between - in fact it has been wonderful to be here. 

All the same, we have missed being on the boat.

5 comments:

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

And we have missed you too, Marilyn, especially your lovely cheesy scones. Maybe next year if this World starts to return to some normality, we will see your return. Xxx

Jenny said...

Fingers crossed, Marilyn, that you will both be on the boat again next year. What year its been, hopefully not one to be repeated next year.

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

I know exactly how you feel Marilyn! I miss it all too and all the lovely friends made over the years of cruising.

I am glad though that you and David have a comfortable, safe refuge from the Covid-19 and the craziness of the world right now.

Love Jaq xxx

Unknown said...

Erm How come I am not on your blog roll? I am hurt! I may never recover.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Maffi, I had you on for ages and then you stopped posting, so I edited you off ... I do still read your posts though, now you have started up again - and I read your whole blog when we first looked at buying a narrowboat back in 2013.
Cheers, Marilyn