Thursday 11 July 2019

Pictures instead of lots of words - more of the Persico period

Ann and I sat in the cratch on the way from Kingswood Junction up the GU towards the Knowle flight.

She is a gem!
It is not a good photo, but it is proof that we saw a kingfisher as we cruised along. He moved too fast and too frequently to get a good shot.

Looking back from the second lock as Salvi brings the boat out of the first - easy to see how big these locks are. Amazing!
David is waiting with his rope hook at the ready. We purchased it at Tewkesbury a couple of years ago, and it is very handy in deep locks when we are not sharing and in river locks when you have to tie up.

The heron managed to stay still long enough for me to take several photos. In most of them though, he appeared to blend in to the lock arm. See what I meant in the last post re no H&S installations? It is not possible to walk around the beam. Not saying it should change though - I rather like that you have to be careful and responsible.
And we think this manoeuvre is when Salvi lost his phone ...

This is the cleanest Elsan emptying point I have ever seen!
Happy chaps

This was my going out hand after my second turn. I am sure I still lost the game, but this hand did inflame the team into quite a lot of cursing ...
On our way up to the winding hole near Catherine de Barnes, we saw this sunken boat: reuse/recycle - it is now serving as a rampart for the local ducks.

Coming back towards the Knowle flight
David was allowed to assist the young Australian woman opening and closing the gates. Ann and I did the paddles and only one set was required. Wonderful countryside around here.

At the bottom of the last lock Salvi reversed back to the water point beside it. The icky looking mud that was churned up was quite smelly and looked very gloopy ... Note to self - wash the ropes at some point when clean water is plentiful.
I do hope Salvi and Ann come back next year to spend more time with us onboard! In the meantime, we plan to go and see them down in Nelson when we are all home in NZ.
In the meantime, this is who they went to see last night in Krakow! Lucky people!!

No comments: