Thursday 2 May 2019

And here we are in the UK

The flights were both pretty bumpy and I didn't sleep between Auckland and Shanghai even though I was lying flat in my business class bed. I had expected to see David seated in Premium Economy but he had sneakily sorted out an upgrade for himself. The cheeky b*stard had attempted it first using MY airpoints, but fortunately for him, didn't need to as he had a complementary upgrade voucher. So he was beside me for that first flight. He DID sleep.

When we boarded the Virgin Atlantic flight, (in our proper places: me business class, David Premium Economy, thank you very much), I asked the stewardess if she could put my seat into a bed as soon as the seat belt sign was switched off. She gave me pyjamas to change into, so even before we were due to take off, I was changed ready for sleep. Then the captain announced that we had a potential delay of 4 hours (I kid you not) because the Chinese military had an exercise going on and the airspace over Shanghai was closed. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! At least my seat could recline extensively so I was comfortable. I did wonder what would happen if we had to de-plane though. I didn't look all that elegant in my night attire!

However shortly, the captain informed us that the delay was down to 3 hours, but he was looking to push us up the queue. And then, magic! We were going to be leaving in 10 minutes, and all up the delay was only an hour. Expectations were managed exquisitely, I would have to say!

So no lunch for me, but Lauren saved me a dish of beetroot and feta salad. But as it was bumpy, I gave up trying to sleep and was in time for a full lunch - a yummy chicken dish with scalloped potatoes, but no dessert thank you.

The bumps kept on keeping on and I had pretty much decided that the boat needed to be sold as I couldn't be doing with the discomfort of the journey. Then I thought 'Lorazepam, I have lorazepam which I gather is good for anxiety.' And yes it is, as it stated so on the bottle, as prescribed by my GP for just that purpose. So I broke a 10mg tablet in half and downed it. Anxiety receded very smartly and I slept, in spite of the bumps.

On arriving at Heathrow, we went to collect the rental car and then headed for the hotel. Only an entree for dinner and then bed. The beds at the Premier Inns are very comfortable!

At breakfast, we entertained (or they us) Lesley and her brother William and their foster kid Matthew (who can eat for GB!), and then we were on our way to the Midlands - we were heading for The Bell Inn at Gumley which is the closest pub to Debdale Wharf Marina. A surprise was waiting for David there ...

Dana had organised this wonderful cake for David's birthday. She is an amazing woman.

The grandsons with Karol's two furry kiwis.

Tim and Dana

Mick and Julia on the LHS. It's not visible, but I was on tea instead of chardonnay - I think I would have fallen asleep if alcohol had entered my system!

Tim had been staying on the boat during the previous few nights and had everything switched on, water tank filled, then emptied and flushed, and refilled. He had then gone to Scotland to fetch his boys and bring them and Dana down for the weekend with us.

It was rather chilly when we got to the boat and so no boating was contemplated.

The following morning though we decided that, as it was fine, we would head out for an out and back for a few hours. Tim deemed that only going to Saddington Bends where the first winding hole is, was too short a trip, so we headed further down 5 locks, then turned and came back up them and back to Bridge 70 where we moored.

Karol holding the lamp that we use to illuminate the tunnel wall - it helps being able to see the distance from the sides. The good kid went and retrieved his lifejacket without being asked as soon as we were underway.

Olek was on steering once we were out of the marina. This is his first tunnel and he didn't hit the sides at all!

And out in the countryside


The kids played on their bikes on the wide towpath; Dana, David and I drank wine while Tim went and fetched the car for their trip back to Manchester.

I think we stayed awake about 30 minutes after they left, just long enough to wash the dishes. Well, I know that is what I did, but I have no idea when David came to bed except that he got into bed, then got out again for some reason, and then settled down.

We came the 25 minutes back to the marina on Monday by 9am as we had John Wipers, the cratch cover man (website here) was coming to measure up for a new cover now that Mick has made a new frame.

I was also on a mission to make cheese scones for the guys who work here at the marina - they have been so good and helpful to us over the time we have wintered the boat here, esp last year when they sorted out a faulty weld around the boss (see post here). As I hadn't managed to get to the supermarket before we arrived at the boat, Mick had to bring flour and cheese from Julia's store cupboard ...

We had intended to go shopping that afternoon, but by the time Mick and John left we were both buggered (it's that pesky jet lag!), so went to bed at 2.30ish. And woke properly at about 4.30am, with interludes of wakefulness
  • 5.30pm to bring in the washing
  • 10.30pm to pee
  • 12.30am to turn on the heating and set my phone to charge
  • other times to read a couple of pages and drop back to sleep.
Early in the morning, I did venture outside briefly ...
The local spiders are very industrious!
The early mornings are quite autumnal. Hard to see but below the gantry is the dock where the boats get lifetd out.
 
David got out of bed and dressed having had half a shower. He had declared there would be enough water, but no ...
These photos are for The Game of Thrones fans. Never seen an episode myself, but I gather it is quite popular ...


A beautiful paint job done by the owners, both of whom work for John Barnard, an extraordinary boat painter.

Just so you know, any house identified in land agent terms as Lock and Leave is not - here is a list of about 2/3 of the tasks I had to do before we left Waikanae ...

4 comments:

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both, Glad to see you have made it in one piece. We are aiming to see you in Market Harborough on Sunday 5th or Monday 6th. We have to be in Debdale for 7th though. We are delayed at Birstal on the Soar with a top gate paddle jammed open.

Hope to see you soon.
Tony and Helen.

Jenny said...

Hope that jet lag soon departs, and you start to feel more perky soon. Have a wonderful boating holiday.

Jenny and Robin Romany Rambler

Carol said...

Welcome back to the ditches,... have a great season!

Lisa said...

Greetings,

Sorry about the jet lag, I always thought I was the worlds worst at it. Its completely debilitating so well done for even doing a short cruise.
I do so hope you have brought some warm weather with you....

Lisa & David
NB WaL