Friday 19 October 2018

Bread and butter pudding with lemon curd

Sorry, Carol, you asked for the lemon recipes and I didn't think this one was - doh!

Bread and Butter Pudding with Lemon Curd.

(NB all quantities are approximate as I don't measure anything for this as it depends on the size of the pan I am using and how many people I am making it for. 

Spread raisins or sultanas in the base of an oven proof dish (at least 8x8"[for 4 people] or bigger for a larger group). Cover with sherry or port to soak and leave for an hour or so.

Butter slices of brioche or a sweet kind of bread**, and then spread thickly with lemon curd.

Make a custard by beating together 3 eggs and about a cup of milk as well as 1tsp of good quality vanilla extract and 1tbsp of sugar.

Put the bread slices in the dish, stacking them so the tops are all visible. Then pour over the custanrd mixture. Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of demerara sugar over the top and leave to soak in the fridge for an hour.

Bake at 180 deg C for about 30 minutes until the custard is set and the top is crispy.

Serve with whipped cream or icecream.

** Brioche is hard to get in NZ so I use a Sally Lunn that I remove the icing from first.  Any white bread would be fine and if it's not sweet then add a bit more sugar to the custard. I also think a fruit loaf would be quite nice.

Away you go ... Let me know how it goes.

No comments: