Saturday 28 July 2018

It's a luxury to be blobbing

Here we are moored up outside Braunston, only about a km away but no traffic noise, no other boats moored close by; just the Saturday sound of lots of boats (mostly hirers who collected their boats yesterday or this morning) going past.

David has walked into Braunston on errands (generated by him, not me) and I am having a lie in. Well strictly speaking, I am having a lie in interspersed with making bread, making tea, toasting cheese scones for a snack, and now blogging. So blobbing isn't really accurate. Not to worry - I am still in bed and it's 11.33am.

We have cruised every day since Tuesday when we did a long day (about 10.5 hours, I think) from the junction of the Welford Arm to just before the Braunston Tunnel, the next day we went through the tunnel and down the locks to see Dale and sort out getting the roof scraped. As he is starting on that on Monday we had a few days to fill, so we headed for Rugby in two bites - a short distance outside Braunsrton (about 500m to a shady space) and then early in the morning to Rugby, watered up, turned around, and moored in the shade - sense a theme, do you? A big shopping expedition - Tescos was beautifully air-conditioned - back to the boat to unpack and then I sat out in the shade, still very hot, while David walked into town to buy a TV (Tescos) and to go to the 3 shop for a SIM for the modem thing we brought over from NZ - purchased from NZMCA and apparently very good, so the onboard IT Manager tells me.

Yesterday we came back from Rubgy to just about the same place outside of Braunston, but better and more shady. The afternoon was a sitting outside reading and blogging one for me, and an inside sorting out modems, the new TV, phones and IT for David - so we were both pretty satisfied. And then the wind came up and cooled us off, and the new TV worked happily, and we watched for a bit and went to bed and woke up to rain on the roof and wind - lovely stuff!

Today we are not moving the boat (when it's windy the boat tends to act like a giant 62 foot sail) and late tomorrow afternoon, we will move up to Braunston and moor up beside Dale's boat ready for work to begin on Monday.

Here are some random photos to add interest to an otherwise picture-less post ...
Yesterday, as we cruised from Rugby to Braunston, we passed this very familiar boat - it did seem strange not to see James and Doug on the stern suggesting drinks and nibbles on board ...

I made this rhubarb pie a few months ago to take to dinner at Bruce and Gary's place. I note there are several mistakes in my latticework where I have too many overs instead of unders ... I had taken the photo so I could put it in a blog post, but I hardly blogged at all while I was working - somehow I couldn't find the time to write personal stuff when I was writing project and programme stuff. Of course, I could have written screeds when I couldn't sleep at night as my brain wouldn't shut off. However if I couldn't sleep, I used to get up and work - I figured if my brain was thinking about what I needed to be including in the documents I was writing, I might as well get up and do it, even if it was 3am. Somehow it didn't often occur to me to get up and blog.
Here are Rodger and Pat from Cat's Whiskers - they come to NZ every summer to stay with their daughter in Karori (a Wellington suburb). They came to visit us in Waikanae, and David took this photo so we could What's App it to Mike Coates at Mercia Marina - I have a feeling it was to make him jealous that he wasn't with us. But mainly, because we are nice people, it was to say hello to him - honest!
I took this photo of the screen on the plane - it showed where we were as we flew over the Baltic Sea near the coast of Poland. Elblag (said Elblonk) is where our grandsons' mum comes from. Isn't that a great display for an airline to show? I do like Virgin Atlantic!

No comments: